Microneedling, also known as Epidermal Collagen Induction Therapy (ECIT), is a minimally invasive procedure where microneedles are used to create micro-injuries to the skin. Micro-injuries prompt the derma layer of the skin to rebuild and increase collagen production. Collagen is an essential protein that keeps the skin looking firm and smooth with a youthful complexion. Microneedling is a safe and effective skin treatment, with minimal to no downtime and can be used all over the body!
Microneedling is an effective way to rejuvenate the skin, treating fine lines, wrinkles and scarring as well as improving the skins texture (large pores and pitting), tone and colour (hyper pigmentation and redness).
The main benefit to microneedling is the ability to stimulate the growth of collagen and elastin, which results in more youthful looking skin! Because of the increased collagen and elastin production caused from microneedling, it not only helps current fine lines and wrinkles, but boosts the skins derma layer to prevent further lines from appearing.
Microneedling is proven to break down scar tissue such as acne scarring, surgical scars and stretch marks and to trigger the production of new elastin and collagen for rejuvenated skin.
Stimulating collagen growth through microneedling also helps reverse sun damage, hyper pigmentation and a general blotchy complexion. The texture and quality of your skin will be noticeable immediately after your appointment.
Before your microneedling treatment, a topical numbing cream is applied to prevent discomfort. The feeling associated with microneedling is similar to sandpaper being moved across the skin. Some areas may be more sensitive than others, however the speed of the reciprocating microneedle tip makes the treatment more comfortable. The micro pen is never held in one spot for a long period of time to prevent discomfort.
Microneedling is safe and effective for all parts of the body! The most popular areas of treatment are the face, neck, décolletage and arms.
The majority of clients notice an immediate ‘glow’ to the skin following the appointment. Visible changes to the skin will develop over the course of several weeks. Results can continue to develop up to 6 months after the treatment
Optimal results can be shown after one single treatment. However, it is recommended for most patients to have between 2-3 treatments spaced 6-8 weeks apart. Significant skin care concerns, such as scarring, may take additional treatments.
A topical numbing cream will be applied at the start of your appointment. A sterile cartridge containing 12 tiny micro points is then attached to the micro pen. The appropriate depth of microneedling will be discussed and chosen based on your unique treatment needs. The pen will gently be passed along an area of your skin until the entire treatment area is covered. This will be repeated 1-3 times depending on your treatment area and concern.
Immediately after you appointment, your skin may be red and tight. The total healing time will depend on the depth and number of passes performed to the treatment area. On average, patients can experience redness or a sunburn sensation for 24-48 hours, but this may last up to 4 days. Some swelling, peeling and dryness are normal during the healing phase of microneedling. Some patients and areas can be healed in as little as 24 hours. A hydrating serum will be applied to your skin in order to keep your skin hydrated and promote healing. A sunscreen will always be applied post treatment. A complete aftercare kit will be given to you to use at home.
- Anyone under 18 years old
- Anyone pregnant or nursing
- Anyone who experiences Keloid scarring or scars easily
- Anyone who is on antibiotics or who has conditions that affect the ability to heal or fight infections. Antibiotic use should be stopped one week prior to treatment.
- Anyone who has been on Accutane in the previous six months
- Anyone with a current sunburn
- Anyone with certain allergies (makeup, metal, medical related, etc)
- Anyone with collagen vascular disease
- Anyone with skin cancer or suspicious lesions in the treatment area
Please read the policies section on those who will require a doctors note.
- Any area with a chronic skin condition present (eczema, psoriasis etc)
- Any current acne breakouts
- Any area with moles/warts
- Any area with active bacterial or fungal infections, such as cold sores
- Any areas of scleroderma
- Do not use retinol for one week prior to your appointment
- Avoid excessive sun exposure for one weeks before your appointment, sunburnt skin may result in your appointment being cancelled
- Remove any piercings in the treatment area
- Come to your appointment with clean skin!
- Try to always ensure you are touching your face with clean hands, remember your skin has micro injuries!
-Gently wash your face with the cleanser provided twice a day, starting 4 hours after your appointment.
- Apply the hydrating serum provided after washing your face and as needed throughout the day.
- Apply the provided sunscreen while you are healing and every day!
Continue your normal skincare routine!
- Use a new pillowcase the first day of your procedure
- Only touch your treatment area with clean hands
- Only apply makeup with pre-cleansed brushes
- Follow the aftercare Instruction
- Do not use AHAs, BHAs, Retinol, Vitamin C or scrubs for one week post treatment
- Do not use powered cleansing brushes for one week
- Do not go swimming or participate in strenuous exercise for 72 hours
- Avoid alcohol toners for one week
- Avoid heavy sun exposure for one week